My Why for my project: The Data


As part of the Manaiakalani Innovative Teachers program in 2019 I had to think of the why for my project.

To begin with I looked at the data - mainly the data that I had control over - The Year 3 & 4s. I had the anecdotal notes and and my own hunches but as they say the "Data never lies"

Looking purely at the 2018 year 4's that had completed the PAT in Maths in term 4, it showed my that only 20% of learners we either at or above the curriculum expectations for Maths. I also understand that this is only one measure for success and as for a lot of the learners this was the first time that they had completed a formal PAT before. This still scared me.

Upon reflecting with the 2018 students they didn't love maths. They were happy to not do maths and they didn't see maths in real life contexts. This again scared me. Were we doing something wrong? How could we flip this into a positive?

Fast forward into 2019:

The Results are in for both year 3 & 4 PAT maths.

In Year 3 we had 7 children working at Stanine 1 -3 (17%)
When you look at it with a gender lens:
Girls: 7 out of 26 (26%) were working at Stanine 1 - 3
Boys: 1 out of 14 (7%) were working at Stanine 1 - 3

In Year 4 we had 7 children working at Stanine 1 - 3 (25%)
When you look at it with a gender lens:
Girls: 3 out of 10 (30%) were working at Stanine 1 - 3
Boys: 5 out of 17 (29%) were working at Stanine 1 - 3

Next step is how is it best to help these learners? What will work best for them?

Comments