A sneak peak.... Something I have been working on

I thought it was time to share part of my MIT inquiry.

Through this year the learners in Kererū have been taking a journey with us around their maths learning.

The idea is one that has been taken from a range of different sources.

I have always been a fan of Authentic Inquiry for learning. Learners find it easier to link new learning on when it has a purpose but how do you tie this into maths? Is it as simple as making the problems about them? Does it need more thinking?

Another area of research I have looked into this year is DMIC. This is a powerful tool that is well researched through NZ. Flexible learning groups and problem solving is a huge part of this process. Another great tool for learners to talk about their maths.

The final area that I have been looking into is Workshops. Again lots of research around this and also first hand experience of how learners use and enjoy these.

I had to think about how do you tie all of these ideas into maths? Authentic, Inquiry, Problem Solving, Workshops? Had I bitten off more than I could chew?

During Term 1 and the start of Term 2, the learners in the space have been able to try out a few of these options. We tried DMIC and workshops. How did they go? Well both went well. Wasn't perfect but was good.

For the rest of Term 2 I looked more into the maths process that the learners needed to go through. I downloaded one from the internet. After speaking with the learners they found it too tricky. Too wordy. Just not right for them. It was time to create my own one.

This is just the first design. It could change. It might not. How will the learners use it? Will the other teachers like it?

It is simple so that the children can follow 4 simple steps. Each step has a timeframe.

Step 1: Launch (8 mins)
A time when the learners can hear the story about the problem. Pull out the important parts. This is done in a Flexible Group of around 12 - 15 learners.

Step 2: Think Time (2 mins)
Done on their own. Using a range of different sensory tools (pushing and pulling etc) while the children find their own way solving the problem.

Step 3: Solving (10 mins)
Done in pairs or groups of 3. The learners use Explain Everything to record their solution. One solution per group. Learners discuss their individual strategy before the group decide.

Step 4: Share (10 mins)
Back to the whole group. Learners share their solutions with their peers for feedback.

So that is what I we will trial at the start of Term 3. How will it go? This is just one part of my MIT inquiry. Hopefully in the first few weeks of the term the site will be all up and running.

Comments

  1. Good to see you concretise your ideas so that you can get started. This sounds promising Marc have you dome any research to see if it has been done before? What is the point of difference this tools has that will provide learners with another pathway? Looking forward to seeing hoe this unfolds and how you will meet all the steps needed to complete the challenge. Kia kaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne
      Yes I have done a bit of research around this process. I also was lucky enough to spend some time with colleagues that have worked with on the DMIC program. To begin this trial I first started teaching the DMIC way and found that it worked but it wasn't exactly what my learners needed. They needed a little more choice. I also looked at the Continuum of Choice, which is a tool that we use within our learning space around creating opportunities for learners to drive their own learning.
      The point of difference is what else happens during the sessions. Learners are working on personal goals, opportunities to sign up into workshops and also problem solving that is authentic to our learning. Learners are also able to share their thinking and solutions with others to create a range of videos to support others with similar problems. In saying this it is still a work in progress.

      Hope that makes sense.
      Marc

      Delete
  2. Hey Marc. I like your thinking. Us at Hornby High school are also playing around with the DMIC ideas this year, so it is neat to hear that you guys are giving it a go as well. Like you have said I think it is a good tool to have the culturally responsive problems and get a chance to talk their ideas out loud and compare what each other is doing. and I think it makes Maths learning and teaching more fun.
    I am not sure what the Workshops looks like, but I always have liked the idea of choice for the students.
    For my feed forward, have you thought about using some more open questions to create some Mathematical discourse. Marian Small talks about simple ways to open up questions to create more discussions. I will send a presentation of her's to Kelsey so she can pass it on. (I don't know how to send it though this medium)
    Anyway. I am interested to know how you get on with this journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment